We’re recruiting an energetic leader to join our team of Children and Youth Staff at Canadian Memorial United Church. This is a part-time term position starting in September and extending to June 2019.
Canadian Memorial United Church is an inclusive, progressive Christian church where we worship and practice an open-hearted, open-minded faith. Our children’s programs focus on faith formation and social justice, and aim to equip children with the spiritual and interpersonal skills to navigate today’s changing world with compassion and care.
As our Nursery Director, you will be responsible for delivering fun, thoughtful and original programming to a group of children between the ages of approximately 18 months and 3 years. Prior experience working with young children is required.
We encourage people of all genders and abilities, people of colour, First Nations/Aboriginal individuals, newcomers and immigrants, members of the LGBTQ2S* community and members of other underrepresented communities to apply.
We look forward to learning what gifts and interests you can bring to our team!
Role and responsibilities:
- Lead programming for toddlers (approx. 18 months – 3 years) on Sunday mornings
- Treat all children with love, kindness and respect
- Design age-appropriate curriculum and activities with the support of the Early Childhood Spiritual Growth Coordinator
- Plan, set up and clean up after weekly activities
- Maintain a safe and inviting space for children
- Lead circle time including stories, songs and play that support each child’s spiritual life
- Maintain positive relationships with parents, family members and the CMUC community
- Ensure that all agreed upon safety procedures are followed at all times
- Participate in CYF Ministry Staff activities including weekly grounding sessions and debriefs, plus additional trainings, family special events, etc., as needed
- Mobilize volunteer support, either from parents/guardians or other church volunteers
What you bring:
- Professional experience working with young children from birth to age 4
- Experience in a faith-based environment and an enthusiasm for children’s spiritual development
- Passion for child-centered education and knowledge of positive behavior management strategies
- Creativity and a gift for storytelling / music / art
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, able to multi-task
- Passion for social justice and community building
- Current Emergency Child Care First Aid & CPR (or willing to obtain by start date)
- Current Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector (or willing to obtain by start date)
- ECE or some education in Child Development is an asset
Paid orientation and training:
- Mandatory attendance at the fall orientation program in September 2018
Compensation: $23/hour for 5 hours per week
To apply please return the questionnaire below along with you resume and cover letter to Mary Toth, Children’s Church Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Download the full job description here: Nursery Supervisor 2018