Youth Group Program Assistant
We’re recruiting an energetic leader to join our team of Children and Youth Staff at Canadian Memorial United Church. This is a part-time term position starting in September and extending to June 2019.
Canadian Memorial United Church is an inclusive, progressive Christian church where we worship and practice an open-hearted, open-minded, affirming faith. Our youth programs focus on faith formation and social justice, and aim to equip teenagers with the spiritual and interpersonal skills to navigate today’s changing world with compassion and care.
As our Youth Group Program Assistant, you will be responsible for planning the social components of our weekly youth gatherings including snack time, games, ice-breakers, social and service outings, etc., as well as assisting the Minister of Children, Youth & Families with spiritual formation programming (youth group discussions, Bible studies, confirmation, and retreat events).
We encourage people of all genders and abilities, people of colour, First Nations/Aboriginal individuals, newcomers and immigrants, members of the LGBTQ2S* community and members of other underrepresented communities to apply.
We look forward to learning what gifts and interests you can bring to our team!
Role and responsibilities:
- Work as a programming assistant to the Minister of Children, Youth & Families
- Plan and lead the games, snack, and other socializing components of Friday-night youth group
- Participate in prayer exercises (e.g., meditation, yoga, spoken prayer, etc.), Bible study, and other discussions that nurture faith formation for teens
- Co-coordinate monthly service/social justice-learning opportunities for youth in the city
- Accompany CMUC youth on a 3-day denominationally facilitated retreat in November
- Maintain posts on social media (Facebook, Instagram) for the CMUC youth community
- Maintain positive relationships with parents and the CMUC community
- Participate in occasional CYF Ministry Staff activities as needed
- Mobilize volunteer support, either from parents/guardians or other church volunteers as needed for planned events and activities
What you bring:
- An energy, relational attentiveness and sense of fun that teens can relate to
- A willingness to take direction and work collaboratively with others
- Experience in a faith-based environment and an enthusiasm for the spiritual development of teens
- A capacity to plan and lead relationship-building activities with teens
- Qualities of being detail-oriented, highly organized, able to multi-task
- Passion for social justice and community building
- Current Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector (or willing to obtain by start date)
- Prior experience working with teens (Grade 8-12) is required.
Paid orientation and training:
- Mandatory attendance at the fall orientation program in September 2018
Compensation: $23/hour for 5 hours per week (Note: As there is no youth group in the summer months, the hours are cumulative to cover time spent at a 2- to 3-day youth retreat in either the fall or the spring.)
Please email resume and cover letter to Tama Ward, Minister of Children, Youth & Families at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the full posting here: 2018 Youth Group Program Assistant