Job Opening: Administrative Manager
Posted: November 2017
Canadian Memorial United Church & Centre for Peace is an inclusive, progressive, and thriving Christian community located in the heart of Vancouver. Our church sanctuary is located at West 15th Avenue and Burrard Street; our Office is in the Centre for Peace building on West 16th Avenue, just west of Burrard.
A recent professional HR review has reinforced our perceived need for administrative restructuring. Now, we are looking to welcome, as soon as possible, an Administrative Manager for a newly created senior position. This is a three-quarter time position that we see as ideal for candidates with considerable managerial experience who desire shorter work hours and less work stress in a values-based workplace. If you’d like to share your expertise with an aspirational community of appreciative people, you may be right for this position.
The Administrative Manager (AM) will oversee the efficient, effective daily operation and organization of Canadian Memorial United Church (CMUC) and the Centre for Peace (CFP). The Administrative Manager will provide effective direction to the office administration, which includes administrative human resources, supplies, equipment and budget. The AM will ensure that all administrative decisions, business operations and activities reflect CMUC’s mission, vision and values, while also meeting or exceeding the Board’s budget and strategic plan goals. This is a three-quarters time position.
The Administrative Manager will report to the Lead Minister, who will conduct the annual performance review in collaboration with the Board’s Ministry & Personnel (M & P) Committee. Terms of employment and working conditions are provided through the M & P Committee.
DIRECT REPORTS (as of November 2017)
Administrative Assistant (p/t), Rental Coordinator (p/t), Facility & Maintenance Worker (p/t), Bookkeeper (p/t), Office Assistant (p/t)
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES, CMUC & CFP
- Directs and implements governance, regulatory and United Church of Canada policy (UC) compliance related to administrative services and procedures
- Plans, administers and controls the Operations Budget, in consultation with the Lead Minister and others as appropriate, with direct oversight for labour, contracts, equipment, maintenance, supplies, and services
- Prepares reports and briefs for the Lead Minister, the Ministry & Personnel Committee, and the Board evaluating administrative services and providing recommendations and solutions
- Working with Board Directors and Lead Minister, ensures all insurance is adequate and up to date
- Interviews, hires and oversees training and development for lay staff, including the evaluation process
- Prepares, or oversees preparation of, reports and statistics related to the operation of CMUC & CFP
- Oversees the Rental Coordinator to ensure CMUC & CFP rental needs are met while generating income from the facility to meet annual budget targets
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls and evaluates CMUC & CFP operations and the included real estate
- Supports the Rental Coordinator in the development of marketing strategies for CMUC and CFP properties to meet strategic plan objectives
- Plans, organizes and directs property services such as signage, cleaning, maintenance, parking, safety inspections, security and snow removal
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls and evaluates maintenance and construction projects, as directed by the Lead Minister and the Board.
- Oversees the installation, maintenance, and repair of property infrastructures including machinery, equipment and electrical and mechanical systems
- Develops and implements schedules and procedures for safety inspections and preventive maintenance programs
- Interpersonal skills
- Verbal & written skills
- Integrity & maturity
- People management skills
- Collaboration and collegiality
- Problem-solving & decision-making
- Business planning
- Strategic management
- Familiarity with standard accounting practices and fund accounting
- Experience in public relations, sales, and marketing as related to the promotion of facilities
- Experience in project management working with internal and external partners
- Office-based, with frequent computer work and interaction with others
- Three-quarter time with occasional evening meetings
- A bachelor’s degree or college diploma in business administration or a related administrative services field
- The successful candidate will apply for and provide a copy of a valid police information check for the vulnerable sector.
- Several years of experience at a professional level in business administration, finance or administrative services
- Several years of experience in the church or non-profit sector would be an asset
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes an attractive base salary, annual vacation, professional development allowance, and comprehensive benefits under the United Church of Canada’s group benefits and pension plan. The United Church plan is mandatory for all permanent employees.
This posting will remain open until the ideal candidate has been chosen. In the interests of the Administrative Manager taking up the position as soon as possible, we plan to monitor incoming applications and contact promising candidates by phone for preliminary interviews, after which we will invite those who are shortlisted to an interview.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your cover letter and resume in Word format to the Chair, Ministry & Personnel Committee, Canadian Memorial United Church, firstname.lastname@example.org. As mentioned, we will be in contact only with those whose credentials meet our criteria.
We thank you for your interest!